Two cooks from Benin Republic arrested for poisoning their employers’ meal


Victor Hounkpe and David Amusu poisoned their employers’ meal at their Lekki residence, Lagos, to make everybody fall asleep so that valuables in the house could be easily stolen. But unfortunately, it made all members of the house become
unconscious and hospitalized. In the evening of April 22, Hounkpe, who had stayed for only a month in the house, prepared a vegetable soup for the family.

Minutes after eating it, the husband, Nwogu Chinaka developed a severe stomach ache and collapsed, while his wife, Omowunmi, rushed him to a nearby hospital. She however, also became unconscious and collapsed at the gate of the hospital. 2 security guards in the compound were brought to the hospital later.

Hounkpe and Amusu fled from the house during the incident but were later arrested. In his confession, Hounkpe said: “I came to Nigeria in 2007. I have always worked as a cook in Lagos. David was the agent who brought me to the couples’ house. He was the one who gave me the substance to put inside the soup. He told me the substance was a sleeping pill. The plan was that everyone would fall asleep. They wanted to steal gold and other valuables.

I put the substance inside the vegetable soup. The couple did not offend us. They were to pay me N50k monthly. We just wanted them to sleep off. I ran to the Ogudu area after the incident to pick up another job. That was where I was arrested.” In his own case, Amusu said: “I was a former cook in the house.

I was the one who brought Hounkpe. On the fateful day, when he finished cooking the soup, he called me to say the job had been done. But then, we learnt that the couple was rushed to a hospital after falling unconscious. So, we fled the area.” The couple has now been flown abroad for treatment…… n to decide whether to hire another cook from Benin Republic or nt…..

Related Posts